Sunday, June 21, 2009

so today is fathers day .... a day we pay respect to our fathers everywhere for everything they have done for us.... as a thirty year old having had to move back in to my parents house after many years of semi resenting my father for how he treated us as kids..... i have come to realize that we are just alike!! last night i came home from work and my mom was icing her knee after having surgery on thursday.... dad was as at a mass with the guards of the knights of columbus- which he is the commander of - COUNCIL #10,019 - mom informed me that dad was going to need my help making crepes ( another side job my parents have taken up together- making crepes for the franco heritage center events in lewiston ) they needed 250 more made - they had already made the batter earlier.... coming on with a migraine i knew i needed to nap first... mom called me on my cell from downstairs to wake me once dad had gotten home ..... with chinese for us.... after eating the chicken nuggets and rice mom ordered for me... dad and i set to work.....


my father was a military engineer.... he is a welder and a mathematician... he is methodical and stubborn.... as kids he taught us respect, truth, dignity, laughter, how to enjoy the little things... he has been a husband for 41 years and held the same job for 45.... father of four girls and one boy.... he is the reason i am who i am today..... as an adult living with this very man that has been around for my ENTIRE LIFE.... i now realize how lucky and proud i am to be his daughter..


my parents have making these crepes down to a science..... dad and i set to work with the assembly line methodical process of cooking off 250 crepes on my moms four burner kitchen stove.... as i spray and pour two of the pans- being sure to get the right amount and pouring technique at a cross angle.... we flip to the other heated waiting pans every 30-45 seconds... at which time i spray and refill the empty pans.... while dad removes the then fully cooked crepes to the counter to cool...... before flipping his next crepe in the empty pan now in hand..... a machine..... my father and i work exactly the same way..... we got a rythym going... and along the way he taught me more tricks... how to turn the handle just right so you dont get burned.... how to keep them evenly cooked and not over done.... i was his crepe apprentice :D we even beat mom and dads cooking time of 100 crepes per hour!!! we were on fire!!! during this methodical dance of batter... we conversated about his past....(his days of hijinks with the fire department).... some of the present (my nephew going to summer school and having a job as he becomes a senior considering the military) ..... joked about mom ( and listened to him gripe too) .... we had a blast.... that was by far the BEST SATURDAY NIGHT i have had in years.. and it was just me and my dad :) once they were cooked and we got the kitchen cleaned- it was time to deliver them to the church at 9:30 at night.....

my father is blinder than stevie wonder .... ok - maybe not THAT blind... but not far behind.... he should NOT be driving -ESPECIALLY AT NIGHT!!! we all know this and luckily he has been pretty resonable about avoiding it when possible.... so i offered to drive him over.... seeing my father get older and begin to need a LITTLE assistance with a few every day activities.... makes me realize he is not going to around forever... and that in time i am most likely going to end up returning the favor using the compassion and sincerity he has given and taught me... being his personal secretary and personal organizer is a small price to pay to my obi wan :P


so during the drive our conversating continued.... i am realizing that my father likes to talk just as much as i do!!!! imagine that!! and he is not boring by any stretch of the imagination.... in addition to this we have come to realize we are similar in quite a few other ways..... photography.... i NEVER knew my dad enjoyed it so much..... BIRDWATCHING!! seriously!! we know almost every kind we have on the feeders he keeps right outside the sliding door of the kitchen counter!... having a good laugh and causing havoc for fun - we already knew about that similarity- however - my friendly outgoing personality is just blossoming as i spend more time around my father..... and it feels great to help out and care about a man that has honestly done nothing but love me since the day i was born... no matter how much secretary work and personal organizing i assist my father in - no dollar amount or endless time could possibly begin to repay this man for all that he has done for and created in me......

today being fathers day just makes me really realize how great a person my dad really is... i truly am greatful he IS my dad.... it may be cliche for the baby of the family to be a daddy's girl - but in all honesty- THANKS DAD!! I AM PROUD TO BE CALLED YOURS :)


love always - your daughter....... <3>

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful piece. On days like today, I miss my father a bit more.

    Thanks for the reminder of how people are a family, not just individuals.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great tribute to your dad ... I'm glad you got to spend the evening together and that you had such a good time. Enjoy the time you have :)

    ReplyDelete